Are you searching for some gift ideas that your family, friends and the earth will equally love? Do you want your gifts to be meaningful and promote a less wasteful lifestyle? Then I’ve got you covered, here is a specially curated list that will minimize waste this holiday season and for seasons to come.
While the following are all awesome tangible physical items, it can also be fun to get creative with giving offering the gift of an experience. This could be spa services, tickets to a sporting event, maybe you credit your friend’s Starbucks card, or a dog walking gift card for your neighbours with a new baby. The options are endless!
- Safety razor: These are badass. They are plastic free, will 100% save you money, and give you a seriously nice shave. Bonus: these are a crowd-pleaser for both men and women.
- Reusable water bottle: In my opinion the best ones in this category are insulated bottles that can be used for both hot and cold liquids. I own a HydroFlask and I carry it around like I do my phone. So yes, everywhere
- Skoy cloths: Essentially like a miracle sponge. Toss them in the washing machine once you’ve had enough and its like a brand new cloth. We use them in the kitchen, bathroom, garage… essentially anywhere you might use paper towel.
- Books: This is a fun one – why not gift books you have purchased for yourself, finished reading and truly loved? Passing these treasured stories around is a perfect way to promote a circular economy.
- Reusable cutlery: I like bamboo as its super lightweight making it easily transportable. The cutlery sets are neat, but also haven’t you secretly always wanted a spork? Haha maybe not but they are hella handy I promise.
- Beeswax wraps: Anything you currently use saran wrap on, I promise you beeswax wrap will do a better job.
- Food: Think coffee, honey, olive oil, spices. These you can often find packaged in glass and produced locally. Bonus points for homemade foods like nut butters, jams, teas, pickled beans (mmm – grandma you reading this?) and the list goes on.
- Stasher bags: Basically a ziploc bag for champions. You use it, then you re-use, then you put it in the dishwasher or maybe the microwave and keep re-using it. Not kidding, they are the real deal.
- Candles, soaps, salts, bath bombs: These are easily found with minimal packaging and ooh are they a treat!
- InstaPot / food processor: Cooking your own food is a sure way to cut down waste and these items make cooking a heck of a lot easier.
There we have it, a list of earth-friendly favourites. Pass it to those asking for your own list or use as inspiration for your personal shopping. When possible it’s best to purchase from your local community but otherwise Amazon has most of these items (be sure to click the new “Please send with limited packaging” button upon check out).
And while I have your attention, I would like to share a gentle reminder that Christmas wrapping paper typically is not recyclable. Whattttt? Yes. That stuff that makes it shiny and glittery and oh so Christmas-y you can’t separate out so it has to hit the black bin. Instead you could try brown paper, newspaper, or perhaps you have gift bags already in storage ready to re-use. If you come to our Holiday Fundraiser, we will teach you how to make your own up-cycled gift bag or wrap Furishiki style with a pretty cloth!
~ April @rocky.mountain.rising